February Lectionary Study – Week 3
For the month of February, we will hold a class each week to study the Book of Esther with Agudath Shalom in anticipation of the Purim holiday. The first three sessions will be led by Pastor Dan Harrison and Rabbi John Nimon. Participants are asked to read the Book of Esther in advance of the sessions. All are welcome.
Week 1: Monday, February 5, Study at Church of the Covenant, 5pm-6:30pm
Week 2: Monday, February 12, Study at Agudath Shalom, 5pm-6:30pm
Week 3: Monday, February 19, Study at Church of the Covenant, 5pm-6:30pm
Week 4: Saturday, February 24, Service at Agudath Shalom, 7pm
The first three sessions will explore the following topics:
- Who wrote the book of Esther, and when?
- Is the story based on history or is it purely a work of fiction?
- How are women viewed in the Book of Esther and today?
- What are the dangers and benefits of assimilation?
- What role, if any, did God play in this story?
- Why do you think Israel was not mentioned in the Book of Esther?
On the fourth week, the Purim Shpiel service will culminate the mini-course. We are invited to be special guests to attend the Saturday celebration. This also includes those who may not have attended the study but want to attend the celebration on Saturday, February 24.